Max maps or paks?
Todd
2009-04-26 20:24:35 UTC
So I've downloaded over 800 deathmatch maps for Quake 3, and extracted
all the pk3s to a single folder. There's that many pk3's anyway.
Some files appear to be textures, weapons, or bots. How many pk3
files can Quake 3 handle at one time?
sittingduck
2009-04-27 03:26:34 UTC
Post by Todd
So I've downloaded over 800 deathmatch maps for Quake 3, and extracted
all the pk3s to a single folder. There's that many pk3's anyway.
Some files appear to be textures, weapons, or bots. How many pk3
files can Quake 3 handle at one time?
Never extract the pk3 files. They need to be left intact.
I wouldn't put anywhere near that many into my baseq3 folder all at once.
Maybe 50 at a time.
--
http://improve-usenet.org
No passion so effectually robs the mind of all its powers of acting and
reasoning as fear. - Edmund Burke
Todd
2009-04-30 19:50:49 UTC
Post by sittingduck
Post by Todd
So I've downloaded over 800 deathmatch maps for Quake 3, and extracted
all the pk3s to a single folder. There's that many pk3's anyway.
Some files appear to be textures, weapons, or bots. How many pk3
files can Quake 3 handle at one time?
Never extract the pk3 files. They need to be left intact.
I wouldn't put anywhere near that many into my baseq3 folder all at once.
Maybe 50 at a time.
I meant I extracted the pk3 from the zip that it came in. Which is
funny since a pk3 is an uncompressed zip file.

I did copy the pk3 files, change the extension, then extracted the
.bsp files so I could make a list of the maps. Then deleted both the
.bsp and renamed pk3 files.

I'm not sure what PowerDesk would do with an uncompressed zip file.

Speaking of which, anybody know of a good archiving program? One
which has a built in Windows Explorer like file browser? It would
help if it could do dual pane, also.

PowerDesk takes up far too much resources. It's constantly refreshing
the view.
sittingduck
2009-05-01 02:19:52 UTC
Post by Todd
Speaking of which, anybody know of a good archiving program? One
which has a built in Windows Explorer like file browser? It would
help if it could do dual pane, also.
Winrar is the best there is.... it can do dual pane, no problem. Click
options/folder tree