q3 can't find map...
Todd
2009-05-14 19:49:26 UTC
I downloaded a bunch of maps from FileFront. I put all the pk3 files
that start with "a" in the baseq3 folder. I made copies and renamed
the copies to zip, then made a list of the bsp files in the pk3 files.

One of the maps is named a_maze_ing. That's the name of the pk3, and
the name of the bsp. When I try to load the map with the /devmap
command, Q3 says it can't find the map.

Any ideas on why this is?
sittingduck
2009-05-14 21:05:22 UTC
Post by Todd
I downloaded a bunch of maps from FileFront. I put all the pk3 files
that start with "a" in the baseq3 folder. I made copies and renamed
the copies to zip, then made a list of the bsp files in the pk3 files.
One of the maps is named a_maze_ing. That's the name of the pk3, and
the name of the bsp. When I try to load the map with the /devmap
command, Q3 says it can't find the map.
Any ideas on why this is?
Is that the only map that fails?
If the other maps are ok, it's possible that one map is corrupt. Try
downloading it from someplace else, maybe.
--
http://improve-usenet.org
No passion so effectually robs the mind of all its powers of acting and
reasoning as fear. - Edmund Burke
Todd
2009-05-16 09:29:55 UTC
Post by sittingduck
Post by Todd
I downloaded a bunch of maps from FileFront. I put all the pk3 files
that start with "a" in the baseq3 folder. I made copies and renamed
the copies to zip, then made a list of the bsp files in the pk3 files.
One of the maps is named a_maze_ing. That's the name of the pk3, and
the name of the bsp. When I try to load the map with the /devmap
command, Q3 says it can't find the map.
Any ideas on why this is?
Is that the only map that fails?
If the other maps are ok, it's possible that one map is corrupt. Try
downloading it from someplace else, maybe.
Wouldn't a corrupt .bsp give me a different error than a can't find
file? The pk3 seems to be fine, as I was able to extract the .bsp
file when I renamed the pk3 to zip. (There's nothing like the send to
clipboard as name Win95 powertool. 14 years later, and I'm still
using it.)

Could the pk3 file be compressed? How would I go about uncompressing
it? I have PowerDesk, but it doesn't seem to have any command like
this. (Doesn't display subfolders either.)
sittingduck
2009-05-16 16:54:10 UTC
Post by Todd
Could the pk3 file be compressed? How would I go about uncompressing
it? I have PowerDesk, but it doesn't seem to have any command like
this. (Doesn't display subfolders either.)
Winrar will open .pk3 files